This text is a part of HuffPost’s weekly tradition and leisure publication, “The Culture Catchall.” Click on right here to subscribe.
Effectively, of us, regardless of the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes, awards season is in full swing. MTV’s Video Music Awards happened Tuesday night, with Shakira’s historic Video Vanguard Award win, a nostalgic “Itty Bitty Piggy” efficiency from Nicki Minaj that includes Lil Wayne, and rather more.
However you recognize who wasn’t on the mainstage? And even the Prolonged Play Stage? Victoria Monét. Followers have been petitioning for the trade veteran to carry out her hit single “On My Mama” on the awards present, however sadly it was past her management. Monét tweeted, “My team was told it is ‘too early in my story’ for that opportunity so we will keep working!’ If newbies like Olivia Rodrigo and Reneé Rapp (whom I love dearly) can get up on stage just one to two years after releasing debut projects, so can Victoria. Sorry not sorry!
The show went on for what felt like an eternity, bombarding viewers with filler performances and teleprompter mishaps (to distract from the fact that there are no writers to help the show and banter run smoothly). What brought me reprieve, though, was Selena Gomez’s response to Chris Brown being nominated in the year of our Lord 2023. Now, do I think Selena should have been nominated for *checks notes* an Afrobeats award? Hell no, but she hasn’t been repeatedly accused of assault, so I’ll cope.
Despite her aversion to becoming a meme, it was inevitable, especially as Gomez sat beside bestie Taylor Swift, who was just having the time of her life. Swift, who won Video of the Year, has been in the news lately amid a rumored entanglement with NFL player Travis Kelce. (If you know me, you know how I feel about that man.) I’m going to reserve my comments — but I will let this TikTok do the talking. If you don’t know who his ex-girlfriend is, I suggest you look her up. Quickly.
Anyway, happy Friday, happy Latinx Heritage Month and welcome to another edition of The Culture Catchall.
We’re Still Talking About It
- To borrow a phrase from Tyra Banks: Drew Barrymore, we were rooting for you! We were all rooting for you! I have never in my life yelled at a girl like this! Our favorite Hollywood darling is now being called a scab, after she effectively crossed the picket line by resuming her eponymous talk show. “I own this choice,” she stated, as viewers members get kicked out for displaying help for Hollywood employees. Earlier this 12 months, Drew walked away from her duties because the MTV VMAs present host in solidarity along with her comrades. Now, a vicious precedent has been set as extra daytime TV exhibits are returning to the air. (On Friday, Drew launched an apology video, however her present will proceed to go on.)
- Simply in time for the NFL’s 2023-2024 season, Disney and Spectrum have lastly reached a carriage settlement deal. Whereas ESPN, FX and ABC stations are restored in main markets, eight networks shall be left behind. Mother and father: your youngsters, tweens and youths are, sadly, getting the brief finish of the stick. Study extra from Deadline about which networks and native broadcast retailers are impacted.
- In a bombshell exposé, NBC Information web reporter Kat Tenbarge make clear accusations that “Rick and Morty” co-creator Justin Roiland used his fame to pursue younger followers. Eleven girls and nonbinary folks got here ahead, citing and offering “thousands of messages with Roiland from 2013 to 2022” — a lot of which turned sexual exchanges. A few of these followers had been 16 years outdated when Roiland allegedly contacted them. Please use warning, as this text incorporates express language and graphic particulars.
- Hasan Minhaj: I can’t maintain defending you, Mr. Homecoming King. In a New Yorker profile, the previous “ Daily Show” correspondent admitted to fabricating particulars of his standup bits in varied comedy specials, starting from a faux anthrax publicity scare to a contrived promenade rejection story. Not solely does this undermine Minhaj’s integrity, however it raises doubts about his use of id and oppression as automobiles to additional comedy — when these traumatic occasions might by no means have truly occurred to him. One can solely surprise what shadow this now casts on different comics of shade. Learn up for your self right here.
- “Euphoria” producer and talentless hack Sam Levinson has been accused of ripping off a feminine filmmaker and photographer’s visible aesthetic. In an interview with Hungarian outlet Punkt, director Petra Collins alleged that Sam approached her to direct the HBO sequence, claiming he was “inspired” by her pictures. Looks as if pushing girls out of alternatives is his M.O. (*Coughs* Keep in mind Amy Seimetz, unique creator of “The Idol”?) I’d say one thing like “I hate to say I told you so,” however then I’d be mendacity!
- The infamous Gannett community is on the lookout for two reporters to solely cowl Beyoncé and Taylor Swift at USA In the present day and The Tennessean. (Emphasis on “reporters,” not middle-aged stans who run Timothée Chalamet fan accounts.) Thoughts you, the listings come after Gannett has slashed numerous roles in native information markets over the previous two years. We love the dearth of job safety in information! It’s so enjoyable! The Day by day Beast has extra particulars.
Trade Information & Bulletins
To get full trade information and the complete leisure publication in your inbox weekly, subscribe to The Tradition Catchall right here.